Stallone was rescued with a litter of kittens while my son was on a mission trip in Chicago. He was raised in our house with his litter mates and somehow managed to stay after my daughter fell in love with his little sweet face. Little did we know that behind the sweet face was a huge personality and loads of trouble. Stallone had a great time last year climbing the Christmas tree and batting around the ornaments and he has taken back to the same behavior this year. We have had to sand bag the base of the tree to keep it from toppling over.
The Christmas tree is not the only hazard in the home for curious pets like Stallone during the holidays. There are things around the tree that are also dangerous. Christmas tree water may contain bacteria that can cause stomach upset or diarrhea in ingested. Electric cords and lights may cause electric shock if the pet chews on them. Cover the cords and do not allow pets to chew on them. Ribbons and tinsel can get caught in the intestines and cause intestinal obstruction. Glass ornaments can cut pets when they are broken or could be ingested.
Here are some other thing to be aware of if you have a curious pet like Stallone.
1. Holiday foods - Alcoholic beverages, chocolate, coffee, onions, onion powder, fatty foods, salt and yeast may all cause serious problems if ingested by pets.
2. Plants - Lilies that may be found in holiday flower arrangements could be deadly to your cat. Many types of lily, such as Tiger, Asian, Japanese Show, Easter, Stargazer, and the Casa Blanca, can cause kidney failure in cats. Poinsettias are generally over-rated in toxicity. If ingested, poinsettias can be irritating to the mouth and stomach, and may cause mild vomiting or nausea.Mistletoe has the potential to cause cardiovascular problems. However, mistletoe ingestion usually only causes gastrointestinal upset.Holly ingestion could cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, and lethargy.
3. Cold weather and snow can be dangerous for pets that are placed outdoors for any length of time. Sub-freezing temperatures can cause frostbite and exposure injury to their eyes, noses and feet. Do not allow your pet to stay outside for extended periods of time unless they have proper protection from the elements.
Pay close attention to the pets in your home as you are decorating for the holidays and keep their safety in mind in all that you do. Hopefully your attention to detail will allow them to enjoy the holiday with you and your family.