Monday, July 10, 2017

Put down the cell phone and pick up a leash - Nature calls

I just returned home from a long beautiful walk through Stoney Creek Metro Park with my dog and my adult son.  We have been taking these walks regularly since the weather has improved this summer and they have become some of the best times I have spent with each of them.  My dog enjoys the wide open spaces to wander (on leash of course) and smell what nature has to offer,  and my son and I can talk without having us look at that little flat screened device that we spend so much of our free time staring into.  We actually have conversation that we probably would not have if we were just walking our neighborhood or hanging out at home.  We are able to clear our heads and watch the sun set as we walk the nature trails.

 It occurred to me tonight as we were returning home that everyone could, and should consider visiting the numerous metro parks and nature trails that are available to us in the Metro Detroit area.   It would be of great benefit for our dogs in a physical sense since they need regular physical activity to keep them fit and healthy;  adding years to their lives.  It would also help us humans remain in good physical, mental and relational health and spend less time with our cell phones in our faces. We would enjoy the company of a family member, friend or neighbor.  If you don’t have anyone available to walk with you, just enjoy your dog and your thoughts and say hello to the other trail walkers that pass as you improve your own health.   

Think about setting aside the cell phones and enjoy your time with your pet and family in the parks.  

I have listed some of the many parks that are available to us in this area and I would love it if you would take the time to add a comment below.  Tell me where you walk with your dog and family members, and whether you have any tips for others as they walk and enjoy nature. 

Happy, Healthy walking!

Stoney Creek Metro Park
Red Oaks Nature Center
Licht Park
Shaw Park
Arthur Miller Park
Clinton River Park
Dodge Park
Stage Nature Center 
Halmich Park




No comments:

Post a Comment